Normally I'm not really a fan of April Fool's Day, because it provides an opportunity for people to either promise something amazing that later turns out to be a lie, or they drop some terrible bombshell and then say "Oh sorry, it was just a joke, I didn't mean it!". Not really my idea of fun.
I do, however, enjoy seeing and reading about the funny things people come up with. I've collected a few of them here.
Blizzard hasn't disappointed this year with a few different jokes:
- Find that someone special to pwn noobs with using the new Battle.Net Matchmaking service! Make sure you watch the promotional video too.
- The Blizzard Store revealed their new contraption - the Battle.Net Neural Interface. It connects directly to your brain for full game immersion (with only a few minor side effects), and even comes in a range of colours!
- The Armory went a little fishy, turning everyone's toons into Tuskarrs and everyone's professions to fishing! The activity feed also showed everyone ninja'd their items and cheesed their achievements.
- Finally Blizzard have under development for Cataclysm a system that should make the dreaded GearScore obsolete - Equipment Potency EquivalencE Number (EPEEN for short).
From other WoW sites around the interwebs:
- Wowhead.com turned into Tacohead for the day, and announced on their blog a new item, [Hellfire Kickin' Taco Supreme] in honour of their site director, Skosiris.
- Wow.com went completely crazy, turning into several different types of Insider as the day went on. I lost count after I got to the Muscle March one. Sorry about that.
- The Twisted Nether Blogcast decided WoW was too boring and turned to the upcoming SW:ToR for inspiration - they became the Twisted Republic Blogcast and paired with Blog Naboo, they even had their first Shared Topic!
- The Mana Obscura posted the details for an upcoming profession in Cataclysm - Cheese Sculpting.
- This Mario-themed one from The Lazy Sniper made me giggle.
- Krizzlybear did a complete backflip from his defense of the Frost Mage, and restyled his blog to Arcane is the New Black.
- Lastly this completely hilarious post from Fail Pug contains not only making fun of French and British people, but also the leaked patch notes from the upcoming 3.4!